Super Cobra is a 1981 horizontally scrolling shooter, arcade game. It was developed by Konami from the engine of the popular Scramble (with only a few modifications), and manufactured and distributed by Stern in North America. The game was a success, selling 12,337 video game arcade cabinets in the United States in four months, by October 2, 1981, becoming Stern's third best-selling arcade classic after Berzerk and Scramble. Scramble sold 15,136 cabinets in the US in five months earlier that year, adding up to 27,473 US cabinet sales for both.
The player controls a helicopter and has to guide it across a scrolling terrain, battling obstacles along the way. The player uses a joystick to accelerate, decelerate, move up, and move down. The ship uses a laser and bomb to destroy defenders, tanks, and UFO's while infiltrating 10 Super Cobra defense systems. The ship has a limited fuel supply, which is depleted over time. More fuel can be acquired by destroying fuel tanks in the game.
The game is divided into ten sections, plus a finale, each with a different style of terrain and different obstacles. Players navigate through ten levels and a base, where they must safely make it through the level and remove the booty. The levels are described as follows,
There is no intermission between each section; the game simply scrolls into the new terrain. If the player destroys the booty on the final level, they must start back at the beginning of the level.
- Player must maneuver the chopper over mountainous terrain against fast and slow firing rockets.
- Chopper faces Arcing missiles over a mountain terrain.
- Smart Bombs flying in groups of four over mountainous terrain. Rockets appear, but do not fire.
- Single Smart Bombs over mountainous terrain. Again, Rockets appear, but do not fire.
- Chopper flies through a cavern-like terrain against falling mines.
- Rapidly firing, roving tanks over mountainous terrain. Rockets appear, but do not fire.
- Maneuver through a field of meteors which explode when hit with bombs or 3 times with laser, plus a single, green, shadow meteor directly in front of chopper which explodes when hit five times with laser. Rockets appear but do not fire.
- Chopper flies over mountainous terrain against rapidly firing UFOs. Tanks and rockets appear, but do not fire.
- Chopper faces arcing missiles over tall buildings.
- Firing rockets in a building maze.
- Base: Player must maneuver the chopper over tall buildings against arcing missiles and rapidly firing tanks to reach the Booty and safely carry it away.
More details about this game can be found on
You can control this game easily by using the keyboard of your PC (see the table next to the game). However, for maximum gaming enjoyment, we strongly recommend using a USB joystick that you simply plug into the USB port of your computer. If you do not have a joystick, buy a suitable USB controller in Amazon or in some of your favorite online stores.